Skip to main content

something I don't talk about often

If you know me, you probably know that I've always had a really huge love for history. It seemed like a strange thing to be obsessive about, especially when I was younger, when in 2nd grade I would be BEGGING my teacher to let me show-and-tell my new "Titanic" history book. 

I always say there was one specific thing that got every person obsessed with history to get into the subject for fun. For me, it was HANDS DOWN the Titanic. I think the fact that I loved the movie, and my aunt had the sheet music that I would sing along with, definitely helped. For a lot of people it is World War 2. Or maybe it's the American Revolution. Or maybe it's something smaller than that, a person. Hellen Keller? Martin Luther King Jr?

Whatever it is, whoever it is, it sparks a kind of fascination with people and peoples actions that have incredible consequences on the world that isn't born yet. 

I started to get really into studying history in middle school. In 6th grade, my teacher would give me books about ancient Greece to read for fun after class. In 7th grade, I would stay late to talk to my teacher about the Black Plague. 

In high school, my mind was blown when I learned about the Rwandan Genocide. How had I lived 16 years and had never heard of something like this? I was hungry for more. I wanted to know more, about the human experience and what people lived through. 

I came to EOU knowing that is what I wanted to do.

After taking at least one history class a term, I finally got to my junior year, the year I was planning on doing my senior capstone project. But I had no idea what to do. 

I was watching a youtube video one day about the best documentaries, and it mentioned a documentary on Netflix called The 13th. It played the trailer, which I watched, with my utmost attention. I went home and demanded that Coulsen watch this with me. 

It sparked something in me. My passion for the topic of the documentary was already there, I had picked up a book the summer after my senior year called Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson. I remember reading this, being immediately obsessed with prison reform and being anti-capital punishment. This documentary, the 13th, actually had the author of that book on as an interviewee, and I was reminded about this passion I had. About confronting racism, about mass incarceration, about capital punishment, etc. If you have never seen The 13th, PLEASE DO!! 

That was what I revolved my capstone around. I traced the evolution from slavery to convict leasing to Jim Crow laws to the war on drugs to mass incarceration. I was so proud of this. SO SO proud. 

So why am I writing about this? 

I think this is a part of me that I don't often share. A part of me that is so extremely passionate about PEOPLE, about learning about people's experiences, understanding how the history of this country influenced its policies and bias today. 

Last night, after I finished with my work and homework for the day, I sat down on the couch to watch a new documentary that I had been looking forward to. This was called True Justice: Bryan Stevenson's Fight for Equality. I pressed play and was sucked in for the entire hour and forty minutes. 

I sat on my couch, and cried. 

What a masterpiece this documentary was. Coulsen teases me because of the love I have for Bryan Stevenson and his mission. He runs an organization that is called the Equal Justice Initiative, and him and his attorneys represent people who are of color, or who are poor, and who didn't get a fair trial but are sitting on death row. Him and his organization also created The Legacy Museum, and a monument for victims of lynching, both of which are in Alabama. 

Enough about Bryan (although I could talk about him all day). I really wanted to write about this, at this time, for a few reasons. 

1.) This is apart of our history as Americans. We can't ignore the legacy that slavery has left, or the ramifications that are still felt today. The best thing we can do is TALK ABOUT IT. Confront it. The history of racism in this country is strong, and it's horrible, but "moving on" doesn't help much. The best thing we can do as citizens is talk about these hard things. And accept the privilege we have. 

2.) I am so incredibly passionate about history and I NEVER talk about it. I guess the reason for that is because I don't really see the point of posting things on social media that might make anyone mad... but at the same time, what is it that Alexander Hamilton says in the musical Hamilton? "If you stand for nothing, what will you fall for?"

3.) If you have a good life, if you are well off financially, then that should be celebrated. BUT are you recognizing that privilege? Even as a struggling college student, I know there are so many people in this country who have less opportunities, less privileges than me.  Are we recognizing that, actively? Are we speaking out? Are we trying to help?

I have an issue with speaking up. I'm always scared that I will make someone uncomfortable... But honestly, I know the things in my heart, and I know I am just trying to good. And I also know that the right thing, the good thing, might not make everyone comfortable. 

During the time of slavery, would I have spoken up? Would I have been an abolitionist? 

In the 1960's, would I have walked next to Martin Luther King Jr?

When Native Americans were being pushed from their land, would I have been an American that would have seen the wrong in that? 

If I saw lynchings, would I have tried to stop it? 

If I saw racism, against asian immigrants, against African American immigrants, against anyone of color, would I have spoken up? 

Would I have fought for Women's suffrage, and then fought for the suffrage of women of color?

I would like to think I would have done all of that. But how could I say that if I am comfortable with the wrong that is still happening? 

Before I sign off, I want to make it clear, I don't only focus on the negatives of this country. People often think that when I do not ignore the wrong doing. I want this country to continue to progress to be better, and sometimes that is looking back and apologizing. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable. It probably should be. 

But "better" is not always "great", and I still want this country to get BETTER and become GREAT. 

I want everyone to have truly equal opportunities. I want everyone to be able to vote (and if you didn't know, a majority of the prison population cannot vote, and some are even unable to after they are released). 

I am rambling now, but I wanted to remind people, especially in this time, to think of others. I want to remind everyone to be kind, to be brave, and to be an advocate for people who don't have a voice. 

Thanks for listening. 

Signing off until next time, 
Ella Frances Taggart

Comments

Most Popular Posts

Favorite People